Film Text and Script Translations by Brenda Benthien
I provide German film text and script translations into British or American English for German filmmakers and producers. Specializing in German film of the early twentieth century, I have translated two classics of film theory into English. I also work at international film festivals and as a film journalist.
I studied German at Smith College and at the University of Hamburg, then film theory and criticism at New York University and UCLA.
Now I'm based in Hamburg, and I'd be delighted to help you with your film text translations or English editing projects. I look forward to hearing from you!
Translations of classic film theory:
• Rudolf Kurtz‘s 1926 Expressionismus und Film, in collaboration with the University of Zürich. Available now as Expressionism and Film, distributed by Indiana University Press for John Libbey Publishing, London
• Rudolf Arnheim's Kritiken und Aufsätze zum Film, published by the University of Wisconsin Press as Film Essays and Criticism
Freelance Translations for Film and Television:
• Subtitling for SUBS, Hamburg
• Film and TV scripts
• Proofreading, editing
• Script coverage and treatments for German-language filmmakers, production companies, and agencies
• Film reviews for KinoCritics, Cinema Scandinavia, and Film International
• Book reviews for the Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television
• Publication of Hamburg Review website
• Foreign correspondent in Tokyo for the German trade publication FilmEcho/Filmwoche
• Film critic at the monthly city magazine Tokyo Today
• Freelance theater reviews for Variety
• Writer at the daily Journal of the Berlin Film Festival